Wednesday 11 July 2012

Kickstarter Lady stops making card game due to "The Sun"

Ï love Kickstarter, I really do. It's the utopian equivalent of showing that there will never be "a niche" product ever. Whatever you do, crowdfunding will hopefully find that audience and will give you the market to be able to turn your dreams into a reality. Whether it's a watch that can...do things an iPhone can do or a really great sword fighting game with a good story and actually well-made sword fighting physics.
This is the exact kind of guy you want making a sword fighting game.

But then again, Kickstarter can have a darkside too. It only takes a few rotten apples to point out how not so great you are and what you do just as big of a joke as your parents think you are. Maybe you're not meant to have the money to make a studio album about the time your cat ran away, and maybe your video game about the bitter loneliness of that cute waitress not getting your order right, shouldn't be made, but then there are people like Molly Friedrich.

Artist Rendering
Of course, for the uninitated, Kickstarter, is a crowdfunding website where people post projects that people can help fund. Those people, backers, receive gifts and credits depending on how much they pledge. They project is either funded and the project goes into production, or every backer get's their money back if it doesn't reach the goal. Ms. or Mrs., Friedrich was going to make the board game, Katalyka, which from the images and her description look like one hell of a game.

The designs of the cards and the board look incredibly well-done. Something out of an expansion set of Magic The Gathering or even space version of Dominion. She speaks eloquently in her designs for the game and even goes into detail about how to play the game and that the ultimate goal is to have fun. Hell, I would have been sold on that premise alone, let alone her own description of it being a mix between "Risk and Magic: The Gathering."

Seriously, how fucking cool does that look.

Success came on August 18th of last year and the game exceeded it's original goal of seven and a half grand, by just over three-hundred and forty bucks. If I got that bit extra, I'd be more excited, I'd start making that game and power through until Christmas. However, that was almost a year ago and things began to become dire when Molly posted an update on June 3rd of this year.

Ms. Friedrich said that, and I do quote, that she was being "harassed" by a voice that claims to be "the sun." You didn't read that wrong, I didn't meddle with the spell checker, she is being harassed by the great spiteful firey ball in the sky.

Oh wait...
She has stated on the most recent post that The Sun seems to have an opinion on it's appearance in the game. "Besides, there have already been a few different "galactic themed" video games and at least one other board game that have all gotten rather popular, so I really don't understand why "The Sun" is supposedly obsessing over the details in this game, specifically." Neither do we, Molly...neither do we.

I don't really want to get into any pop psychology or any psychology at the moment at all, but I do have to say that this is a bit odd...in the very simplest of terms. Doing a quick search of her Facebook page, Friedrich seems to be a regular U.S. 20-something geek who likes Minecraft, Futurama and Doctor Who and none of those things I'd hold against her, but this does sound a bit odd. Just a tad.

Maybe Ra really wanted to fund the project.

The backers have offered to help and Friedrich does clearly state that she "needs help" with the situation. I humbly suggest moving to Finland during the Winter, when there is little to no sunlight. She also mentions the fact that printing the cards are quite expensive, stating, "...the main problem is the actual printing of the card decks.  I have all the other materials, and I have cardstock to print the cards on but it was too thick for my printer and I can't afford to take it to a second hand printer, so as soon as I can finish it I am determined to see this project done.  I looked into exchanging or returning the cardstock, and it would cost me about $500 to do that (which I don't have, since I am on disability due to an injury, I only get about $200 a month after rent and most of that goes into food.)" 


Okay, so she say's she's on disability and I don't want to pry any further into that and that's not my any of my business, but I doubt stating that The Sun is after you, could be helpful in anyway. The printing thing, definitely, but the fact a star is after you is a bit more dangerous from a financial and investor perspective.
Seriously though, Jim Parsons is after me, alert the authorities. Bazing-
But I get that, I understand what it's like to have little money and it sucks, but still...the sun thing. Commenters on the post, have offered help, like working together on the project and checking out sites like Board Game Geek, but still no response. Meanwhile on the comments page of the project itself, people are threatening to sue and are even questioning about "funding projects in the future."


But hey, I could be completely wrong, and probably a complete asshole about this situation, and Ms. Friedrich has gotten on hard times and maybe she hasn't had time to finish the game for personal or family reasons, but right now this may have been the worst way to go about it. I do hope Katalyka gets made or that it's backers get their money back, but for now, Molly stands out like a sore thumb on a glowing golden hand of internet ingenuity.

Thanks again to Ian Bogost for being awesome. 


After posting this, I made contact with Molly Friedrich on Facebook and Kickstarter to get her side of the story. I will post updates if I hear back from her, with her permission, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment